Tuesday 26 February 2013

Introducing Lucy Litchfield Designer and Maker

Lucy joined our team in 2012 as our beginners dressmaking tutor in Wells.  During the beginners 'one day' workshop, Lucy will guide you through process of 'Draughting a simple skirt pattern' to your own measurements, make this from calico so any adjustments needed can be made, learn how to insert a zip and add a hem, then make a finished piece in your choice of Millie Moon fabric. At the end of the day you get to take home a finished perfectly fitting skirt, a pattern of your own and the skills to go on and make more... 

Lucy will also be joining us in the Frome shop from the spring, hosting more kids and teens workshops. 




Heres a little about Lucy by Lucy: 

Having spent my life on the Somerset levels, I have always had a love for all things old and rustic. I have collected and stored Vintage clothing and fabrics for as long as I can remember and had every intention of making and creating beautiful things to wear, give and sell. However, I lacked the self belief in my creative and technical skill. In September 2010 I lost my mother in the same month as becoming pregnant with my first baby. This tremendous emotional episode in my life gave me the courage to take my sewing further. Life is too short and I want to spend mine with my baby girl Winifred, teaching and sewing!





I completed an art diploma and a Fashion degree at Winchester School of Art, which culminated in designing, pattern cutting and making a six outfit collection. After graduating I moved to London where I spent an incredible 2 years working for an exclusive fashion boutique Koh Samui selling high end designer clothing to the rich and famous. I also worked part time for the designer Tristan Webber, spending many hours hand stitching couture dresses and fur jackets.

My stint in the fashion industry soon made me realise it wasn’t the life for me and that I needed something more real, honest and enriching to do with my life. I decided to travel solo around the world and afterwards I settled back into Somerset life, fell in love, became a secondary school art teacher and bought some pigs!


Because of a passion for old fashioned living my wardrobe has always been made up of old tops and dresses from the 30's, 40's and 50's and when high street shopping I always found myself saying "I could make that, and better!", so I never bought anything and just adapted and re-sized vintage clothing or made my own. This has now become a trend in itself!

I have always had a passion for traditional dressmaking and admire the way in which vintage clothing is so carefully hand made. My mum was a very creative person and a huge influence on me, sewing many of her own clothes as-well as for my siblings and me and our Barbies! My great grandmother was also a dressmaker so maybe it is in the blood! Now that I have the wonderful Winifred in my life it is her that inspires me the most.









I now spend my time doing Part time supply teaching, hosting workshops at Millie Moon, setting up Handmade in Somerset by Lucy Litchfield, playing housewife and being mummy to my beautiful and inspiring daughter Winifred.








Come and Join Lucy for beginners dressmaking in Wells:

Sunday 7th April £90 including all materials
Sunday 30th June £90 including all materials

and kids workshops In Frome:
Friday 5th April Felt monsters 7+ 
Wednesday 10th April reversible bags 11+
Wednesday 29th May Felt monsters 7+
Wednesday 29th May reversible bags 11+







No comments: