Thursday 3 November 2011

Introducing... Rachel Le Page

Have you wondered who makes the quilts? Which team member creates wonderful collages? And who loves nothing better than to bake cakes?
Each week we will be interviewing a member of Team Millie Moon, and all of the answers will be revealed!

Rachel will be a familiar face to most Millie Moon customers, as she owns the shop jointly with her sister, Becki. We caught up with Rachel in the Frome shop, and asked her about her sewing habits...

Rachel loves to bake... and quilt!
1) How did you learn to sew?
I had needlework lessons at school when I was growing up. They weren't very inspiring, and the projects were mostly pretty horrid. But it must have sparked something in me, as I started to make things at home. I borrowed my Mum's sewing machine, and made clothes. I remember, I must have been about 14, and I used to lay dresses onto fabric and cut out pieces. I didn't know what I was doing, but I enjoyed it.

I then had a break for quite a few years before picking up my sewing needle again, about 8 years ago, when I had my first child.

2) What sorts of things do you like to make?
Cakes! I adore baking... Oh, sorry, did you mean sewing?


I mostly make quilts. I love combining fabric for specific projects - making gifts for friends and family. I rarely sew for myself, and I lack the precision needed for dressmaking!

3) What gadget could you not live without having?
Rachel made this quilt for her niece
Undoubtably my rotary cutter. It's brilliant for cutting pieces for patchwork. It gives me precision. I love it!

4) Who inspires you to create?
At the moment I'm having a hard time holding myself back from the new Aneela Hoey Little Apples layer cakes. They are absolutely gorgeous! I think they would make a wonderful quilt for a child or an adult. I'm also a big fan of anything Scandinavian. I adore the Tilda fabric range - such simple beauty.

Rachel also looks after the Millie Moon Twitter account (@MillieMoonShop), so do say hello and share pictures of what you've been making either on our Facebook group, or on Twitter.

No comments: